In line with its sustainability strategy, the Vaudoise Group is helping to develop an innovative model for the future of mobility by cooperating and investing in MaaS Global, pioneer of the “Mobility-as-a-Service” concept. The company is launching its service, Whim app, with public transport partners in Switzerland in September 2021.
MaaS Global, the world’s leading mobility-as-a-service platform and the company behind the award-winning Whim app, is launching its mobility service with public transport in Switzerland. The Whim mobile app will enable easy access to e-scooters, high-end e-bikes and all modes of public transportation (railway, tramways and trolleybuses, buses, rack railways, cableways and boat cruise). Whim allows its users to search and book as well as pay for these mobility services within a single app providing a unique and convenient way to get from point A to point B.
As an insurer with roots in member ownership and a significant player on the Swiss insurance market, the Vaudoise Group has long been cognizant of sustainability and has made commitments to sustainable initiatives both internally and externally for a number of years. In 2020, the Group developed its sustainability strategy and will publish its first report on the subject in 2022.
The Vaudoise Group and MaaS Global plan to develop synergies with a common goal: guiding and supporting users through their day-to-day travels. The cooperation will also allow the Vaudoise Group to develop insurance products that keep pace with the future of mobility. Through this commitment, the Vaudoise Group anticipates and supports behavioural change for its customers and users, particularly young people. In line with that strategy, the Vaudoise Group also invested into MaaS Global as part of the recently announced €11 million funding round.
– “We see great potential in the Swiss market. Switzerland’s high-quality and nation-wide public transport system is possibly the best in the world. Switzerland has tech-savvy users, many micro-mobility services, developed car-share ecosystem, active partners and a drive to develop the MaaS services,” says Sampo Hietanen, CEO and Founder of MaaS Global.
The Whim mobility service in Switzerland is offered in co-operation with strategic partners such as Transports Publics Fribourgeois (TPF), e-scooter operators TIER Mobility and Voi as well as the e-bike company BOND Mobility. The public transportation service will focus first on 3.5 million habitants in six cantons: Bern, Fribourg, Neuchâtel, Soleure, Valais and Vaud. Other transportation partners and new modes such as car rentals, car share and more will follow in the coming months to provide Switzerland’s 8.5 million inhabitants with an even more comprehensive Swiss-wide mobility experience.
For any further information
Johanna Sippo, Head of Communications, MaaS Global, firstname.lastname@example.org
About MaaS Global & Whim
MaaS Global is the world leader in the field of Mobility-as-a-Service (MaaS) and the company behind the award-winning Whim app. Users can journey where and when they want with public transport, taxis, cars, bikes, e-scooters and many other options. Whim has revolutionized users’ travel habits, in favour of sustainable modes.MaaS Global was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in Helsinki, Finland. Whim is currently live in several European and Asian markets and preparing for new launches. The company is backed by several strategic and financial investors such as Vaudoise Insurance, Ferrovial, Mitsui Fudosan, NordicNinja, Tesi, Toyota Financial Services, BP Ventures, Mitsubishi Corporation, Swiftcom, Karsan, Transdev, Aioi Nissay Dowa, Denso and Veho. The Whim app is available on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
About The Vaudoise Group
Vaudoise Insurance is the only private, independent insurance company with its headquarters in French-speaking Switzerland. It is one of the ten largest private insurers on the Swiss market. Founded in 1895, it has recognized expertise in all insurance and pension-related segments. At its branches, clients receive a local service, both for advice and settling claims. The Group employs over 1,650 people, around one hundred of whom are currently in training. True to its beginnings as a member-owned society, it pays a share of its profits to insurance customers through premium rebates. In 2021, this redistribution amounted to CHF 40 million.
The Vaudoise Group’s sustainability strategy
- Founding member of the Swiss Climate Foundation
- Signatory of the CEO4Climate initiative
- Signatory of the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI)
- The Vaudoise Group has a sustainable investment strategy that aims to reduce the negative impact and increase the positive impact of its investments
- Its properties are constructed and managed in accordance with strict environmental standards in order to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions of its property portfolio by 10% before 2025.
- The Group makes impactful investments with the intention of generating not only financial returns but also a positive social and environmental impact. This is particularly evident in its investments in infrastructure funds related to the energy transition.